Monday, May 2, 2011

Use A Frying Pan Not an Iron, Please

I am not sure what cooking went on in my house after hours before Pesach, but someone somewhere was really starving and took desperate measures to cook.
Yellow oily stuff was oozing out of my iron as I tried to unwrinkle some shirts yesterday.
the holes on the iron were clogged with some blackened crusty residue.

I think someone tried cooking. I know that in dorms worldwide the Iron has become an innovative sandwich maker/frying pan/pannini alternative. But this was really quite gross. The holes on the iron are clogged with varying shades of black and brown hardened (food?) residue. So I filled the steaming hole with lots of water and then repeatedly pushed the little button with pictures of cloud bursts on it. As the steam came out, it loosened the crusty stuff which dripped all over the place, but did not look like anything edible. Rather like yellowish brown sand granules. I tried licking one but was revulsed before I could determine the taste. Anyway, it wasn't dripping out and melting fast enough, so I unplugged the iron and just lowered it into a sink full of water.
Boy did I get a little vibrating buzz through my arm. I thought if it's unplugged you can't get electrocuted?! Anyway, it loosened the black and yellow crusty stuff but then it began to drip all over the place and come out from under the whole metal plate. I finally shook the iron and after cleaning up the sink, floor, mirror, wall, and my arms, decided it was all nice and clean.
So I went to iron a shirt for Mr. High School Son.
Who just called me from Yeshiva to tell me there are varying shades of big yellowish brown spots all over his shirt.
I told him to enjoy his lunch. Not sure what it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is totally something that could have happened in my house.

Except that my brothers usually sent stuff out to the cleaners, so they probably wouldn't have even been aware of any other purpose for the oddly shaped instant scrambled-eggmaker zachamajig.

FBB said...

Too funny!! I'd guess maybe not food, but some Purim "sewing" shortcut. That's why we have two irons. The iron, and the one for crazy projects.