Thursday, December 6, 2012

They're All Americans (all)

So one night I went out with my two lovely nieces. After repeatedly asking them where we should go to eat, and both of them being too polite to say "Please! a nice restaraunt!"  we went to Rimon (dairy) in the Mamilla Mall.  Of course one niece and I glanced at each other when the street entertainer began playing Jingle Bells, but otherwise, a beautiful evening in an outdoor cafe with two of my favorite nieces (from among my many many favorite nieces.)

Anyway, I know why I was there with them.  A treat.  But what about the HORDES of girls eating out at this restaurant by themselves??  And I heard that there's a group that eat out almost every night! 

The next night we went out with YBS 1, now shteiging away in the Holy City of Jerusalem- to Rimon (meat, of course.  Parents don't have to come to Israel to take you out for pasta, duh).  And at least 4 tables were full of Yeshiva Boys!! NOT with parents?!?!  on a regular Tuesday night! and being the nosy diner that I am, I can tell you they didn't order grilled chicken salad and bottled water.

I get it, somewhat.  The level of freedom not afforded our suburban children here in America.
Walking around neighborhoods with streets named after rabbis (Hey, I've been saying that since LONG before any Abie Rotenberg song :)
The spiritual atmosphere. The freedom.  The pull of the smell of grilled food that is Kosher. 

Parents and Principals not hovering over their every action.

Everything is Hebrew. Jewish. Am Yisroel.

and with Tatti's credit card, free

And I know the Israelis really benefit from all the American students who pump money into the economy. But it just bothered me. 




1 comment:

FBB said...

This is not a new phenomenon. When I was in Seminary over 20 years ago there was a group who went out every night. I went to your in law family to do laundry ;-)

When I did join them, I knew exactly what was the cheapest thing on the menu in every place (really good grilled cheese with mushroom sauce at the Sheraton near Bayit Vegan...4 shekel!)

She had a great time BTW.